Hoi An, Vietnam. Sue Tsang, 2010.


Thursday 30 December 2010

Buy some for your mother!


The view from our balcony...


After spending the night in Phuket airport. (We actually planned this... !) We arrive in rainy B a l i.

I love going to the market here in Asia. Prices are rarely fixed so you get to barter and have some chat with the locals. I know people would rather not waste the 5 minutes but it's all part of the shopping experience! The Balinese all think I'm Japanese but I'm from Scotland... I like a bargain !

First impressions- the Balinese are really friendly people. They always stop for a chat, but not just because they want to make a sale. Quite a few of them have Australian accents too tehehe. Lots of Australian tourists here.

How much are these shorts?
How many you want? Cheaper for more.
I've only got 1 pair of legs, just one!
No, you buy more, I give it to you cheaper. Buy some for your mother!
Haha, no. One pair- how much?
Okay, Japanese price 120,000... Australian Price 180,000...

I got them for 40,000. He raised his hand a few times but I wasn't sure if he wanted to hit me, or slap me in the back for being cheeky. I kinda threw 40 out there to begin with and stuck with it.

C'mon you buy two, 100,000...
Ah, so one for 120,000; two for 100,000 !

It's all good, light hearted fun. It's important to support the locals. As we were leaving he tried to sell me a wooden penis bottle opener !

That's what you get for being cheeky.

No comments:

Post a Comment