Hoi An, Vietnam. Sue Tsang, 2010.


Wednesday 19 October 2011

Wednesdays

As part of my weekly volunteering stint, I get to go to film screenings!

It's pretty great, I'll get a txt in the morning stating if I can get there for 8.45 then I can come see a film. I make sure to tell my flatmates (hello) with their serious lawyer and accountant jobs that I will be spending the morning watching a film, and with a breakfast apple in hand, I skip off to the screening bidding them a very good day at work. Good day!

I generally ask what the film is called but the title does not often reveal too much. 13 ASSASSINS was an epic 141mins long Japanese samurai film. It opens with a hara kiri scene which is quite hard to stomach (yes...) at 9.30 in the morning but it sets the tone for the rest of the film. A wee shame that one of the other viewers huffed and puffed through the whole film, and even imitated the voices. Can't stand ignorance like that. I thought the film was a great cultural insight into the life of samurai, and the role of the Shoguns in Japanese history. Very good although I'm not sure if I would watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment