Hoi An, Vietnam. Sue Tsang, 2010.


Sunday 10 October 2010

Ibusuki onsen

We decided to go on a wee road trip down to Ibusuki. It was only like an hours drive from Kagoshima. It was exciting. I'd never been buried in sand before. I don't have a picture from a holiday at the beach where its just my head poking out the sand. Just never really fancied it. I kinda knew Ibusuki would be different though.

Everyone gets given a yukata after paying the entrance fee. Go to changing rooms, get naked, and pop on your yukata. Look around you and see how the locals are folding theirs because one way is for funerals only so you don't want to make that mistake! I just checked- fold it left over right.

At the exit of the building there are special outdoor sandals for you to pop on, and make your way to the hatched roof area on the beach. There are people waiting with shovels and you pick your spot and they dig a a sand grave for you with a little headrest. You lie down and two of them bury you in. The sand is steaming from the heat. You look around and there's just heads, eyes closed, bliss.

After a few minutes, sweat coming out of all your pores phewww SO hot. The signage says max of 10 minutes. I was struggling after probs like 7 minutes. I waved my wee paw, and they dug me back out. It was like an underground sauna. Feels good. On our way back to the main building there was a girl lying at the side with lots of people around her, and juice boxes and ice packs. She must have fainted so just take it easy when you're buried and baking!!

There is also normal hot bath to soak in after you've cleaned up, and a sauna too. Definitely a relaxing day trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment